Bill's Early Bronco build

Re: Bill's Early Bronco build

Postby Bill » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:02 am

Ok so out of curiosity I mounted my power break booster and MC to see where exactly I stood with clearance. I did this once before and realized Id have to shim the bracket on the bottom to clear the shock hoop. I put the hood on and lowered it . You can imagine my anticipation. There is a full 1/4 inch on top . I cant imagine that fiberglass hood bouncing down that low to smack the MC. The bottom part however . With flex and all I can on occasion see that MC smacking into the shock hoop. Oh well , just have to live with it . maybe I'll put a piece of cutting board stuff polyethylene under there between the 2 surfaces .
Attachments
IMG_4975.JPG

Postby Bill » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:29 am

So I finished most of my big stuff around the engine , the core support. I do want to put some kind of fender wells although I've seen allot without anything. I'm thinking once I'm done with the stuff to make it run I will get back to it and change a few things. I apparently have to put a bar between the 2 shock hoops , it will go right over the engine . I didn't want to so I asked everyone I knew and trusted and they all said I need one . I only wanted one guy to tell me I was right it didn't need a brace . That way I could blame him if it broke later. The pic is me looking under the hood to see if there was room for the bar between the shock hoops. These shock hoops are not just shock hoops they actually support the entire car. There will be no coils or leafe springs to support the weight. It will be on ORI struts. The other pic is the dash over lay . I welded that thing on after cutting out the entire center of the old dash. Now I get to start from scratch.
Attachments
IMG_5001.jpg
IMG_5004.jpg

Postby Bill » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:48 am

Here is the piece I cut out
Attachments
IMG_5007-2.jpg

Postby Bill » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:52 am

Made one boo boo on the dash , you can see the bondo there. other than that its all done.
Attachments
IMG_5032.jpg

Postby Bill » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:58 am

Ok , the rear of the caged engine area simply was not strong enough . I could put a punch into the sheet metal hole and move the entire thing , frame and all , which is cheap 1/8 inch pot metal from the factory. Bob Howard came by and we saw this together. . So I decided to put more bars , including one over the engine . Plenty of room under the hood since I have a 2 inch body lift. I feel much better now. Also, virtually every home fabbed core support I've seen on early broncos have a support going across the engine between the shock hoops. I wanted to avoid doing it but ,,, just no way.
Attachments
IMG_5037.JPG
IMG_5030.jpg

Postby Bill » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:03 am

Testing clearance of those down bars on the previous post. Plenty of room. HOLY SHIT, check out that articulation . I had one more inch to go on the high side.
Attachments
IMG_5029.jpg
IMG_5026.jpg

Postby Bill » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:12 am

Rotisserie for painting a body. Barrowed it from Mike Reed a now retired CHP and friend of Joey Cambell ,who did the body work for my red bronco long before I ever knew Cambell. Reed is also going to paint my Bronco yellow for me.
Attachments
IMG_5036.jpg

Postby Bill » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:19 am

One last thing before pulling the body off. The atlas shifter. They make heim joint shifters so I ordered the stuff to make one. I will move it backwards to the rear and lean it over a tad. Not sure if I will be able to find a rubber boot to fit .
Attachments
IMG_5044.jpg

Postby Bill » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:56 am

Got some gauges from Summit , they have a little yellow in them so I got em.
Attachments
IMG_5015.jpg

Postby Bill » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:29 am

I will NEVER have anything to do with painting a car again for as long as I live. My fingers are numb. Butch my next door neighbor painted it for me . He has been painting cars sincxe he was 16. He had a hot rod shop here in town.
Attachments
IMG_5120-1.jpg

PreviousNext

Return to Readers Rides- Post Pics Here