Bill's Early Bronco build

Re: Bill's Early Bronco build

Postby Bill » Sun May 14, 2017 7:54 am

Finally put the body on , friends and neighbors showed up to help . Used a hoist to lift it up and get it off the rotisserie
Attachments
IMG_5227.jpg

Postby Bill » Sun May 14, 2017 7:59 am

Put in some frost king insulation on the floor from home depot . Dyna mat was way too expensive. Jeff at ARMA coating on Buck Owens Blvd said it would be ok to do it .He regretted it afterword. It didn't stick in some places and he had to re-do one spot. All in all we are happy with it. The insulation will help allot with the engine heat this summer since I have air in this one , it should work allot better.
Attachments
IMG_5245.jpg
IMG_5235.jpg

Postby Bill » Sun May 14, 2017 8:04 am

I had to cut out the brackets in the second picture for the PSC P/S reservoir . I thought it had clearance and it freakin didn't. So I settled on the one in the first pic. It took all damn day to cut one out and re-fab the other one.
Attachments
IMG_5254.jpg
IMG_5239.jpg

Postby Bill » Sun May 14, 2017 8:05 am

Front view
Attachments
IMG_5252.jpg

Postby Bill » Thu May 25, 2017 7:04 am

Working like crazy to get the build done by fathers day. engine pics, did the hydraulic lines, tranny lines, rear steer , needed: fuel and brakes. Probably one day for each of those. Maybe 1 1/2 on the brakes , scrounging fittings. My friend and wire guy will wire when he is home from his vacation. In England of all places, I hope he doesn't get blown up!!
Attachments
IMG_5281.jpg
IMG_5278.jpg

Postby Bill » Thu May 25, 2017 7:05 am

I did take half a day off on Mothers day. went to the broken yolk and Kevin Mcarthy was there, got a pic.
Attachments
IMG_5258.jpg

Site Admin

Postby Jeremyrowell » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:45 am

Any updates, its been a month?

Postby Bill » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:48 am

So, long story short, never made it to the car show due to a few set backs which I will explain . One was the tranny . I'm putting in an AOD, fords first manually or mechanically operated over drive transmission. I put it in when the body was off so it was easy. Once we started the motor it idled fine but would not rev . It seemed it was working against the torq converter. Called a few people including Tom at Gils transmission who initially overhauled the thing. The only solution was to pull it out and give it back to Tom at Gil's
Attachments
IMG_5323.JPG

Postby Bill » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:38 am

Turns out the torq converter was engaged while in park. The valve body was installed incorrectly by a guy that Tom had fired . Tom said he was getting trannies back 2 years after the guy left. Mine was one of them . He fixed it and I put it back in . It worked fine . Now my brake story

Postby Bill » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:13 am

The brake calipers in the pic is a Chevy 3/4 ton which I mistakenly called a JB7 turns out they are JB6's , I was only off by one tiny number. They are front dics brakes . Since I have a Dana 60 front in the back I purchased 2 of these kits to run on all 4 corners . They came with new seals the bracket a spacer and brake hoses. I upgraded to the stainless braided ones. Once on I bled them all and boom , no brakes . I struggled with this issue for almost 2 weeks . I asked every trusted friend I had . All the smart guys . All the off road guys . All the mechanic guys . Everyone I could think of . Then out of desperation I called the guys at wilwood , twice. Turns out the fluid volume in the calipers was greater than my master cylinder could push . I know what your thinking . Brake fluid does not compress therefore once the fluid was in the calipers it should be enough to push the piston . No. It was definitely a volume problem . I switched from a 1 inch to 1 1/8 ms and they got better but still not good enough .
Attachments
IMG_5202.JPG

PreviousNext

Return to Readers Rides- Post Pics Here