Sirretta Trail Closure

Site Admin

Sirretta Trail Closure

Postby Jeremyrowell » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:12 am

URGENT SEQUOIA TRAIL ACTION ALERT
Dear Candy,
Image removed by sender. Illegal ClosureYesterday I contacted District Ranger Al Watson to find out why this No Motorcycle signs had been posted on the Sirretta Trail in Kennedy Meadows. I was stunned when he told me he had closed the trail, but had no specific reason or documentation to justify the closure. When I asked for a copy of the Forest Order that is required prior to any closure Ranger Al informed me there was none. He said there had been some verbal complaints but nothing specific.
He stated that trails in Sequoia National Forest were being managed undet the 2010 Motor Vehichle Use Map. However I pointed out that map showed Sirretta Trail is open to motorized use.
I informed him the Forest Service has been analyzing OHV use on the Sirretta Trails for more than 25 years, but has yet to complete the process. So why the sudden closure to motorcycles and without a Forest Order? He could not answer
To discover the Forest Service has closed the Sirretta Trail to the very folks who have volunteered to keep it enjoyable for everyone is a real blow for all forms of recreation. This illegal closure is totally unaceptable and a slap in the face to Stewards volunteers who maintaine the trail.
In 2005 the Forest Service illegally closed the Portugese Pass Trail and Stewards of the Sequoia was able to get the trail reopened. We can do that again with the Sirretta Trail, but your help os needed..
TAKE ACTION NOW - Everyone who enjoys Sequoia trails needs to complain about the illegal closure of the Sirretta Trail. It does not matter if you have ever been on the trail. You are helping to stop trail closure.
We need to flood them with emails and phone calls
Feel free to change or add anyting you like to the preformatted emails or write your own.
Please be POLITE but FIRM.
1. Click here to urge Sequoia Ranger Al Watson to reopen the Sirretta Trail
(Be sure to add your name and address including zip code at the end of the preformated email)

2. Click here to ask Congressman McCarthy to investigate the illegal clsoure and begin oversight
(Be sure to add your name and address including zip code at the end of the preformated email)

3. Be sure to send an email but it would also be good to CALL Ranger Al at (760) 376-3781 extension 610 (Leave a message if you get his voice mail)
AND after send your above emails, if you like you can also call Congressman McCarthy (661) 327-3611
PLEASE TAKE ACTION NOW. They need to receive a flood of emails and calls now before their meeting.
For more information read the Stewards letter of objection to Sequoia Ranger Al Watson
Member donations are what enable Stewards of the Sequoia to continue fighting to keep your trails open. If you have not donated please CLICK HERE to do your part now.
Together we can keep our trails open
Image removed by sender. Stewards of the SequoiaChris Horgan
Executive Director
Stewards of the Sequoia
Division of CTUC 501c3

Return to Land Use Matters