Nightmare Canyon

Nightmare Canyon

Postby Big Jon » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:43 pm

I received this message from Chris.

Hi Guys

In case you have not heard a group of folks in 4x4's busted fences and went into a closed area. Please let everyone know this kind of thing only gives Off Roading a Black Eye and may lead to closures.
Thanks

--
Chris Horgan
Executive Director
Stewards of the Sequoia
Division of CTUC 501c3 Non Profit
-------- Original Message -------- Subject: Fwd: Need your help
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2014 11:52:38 -0700
To: Banis Randy <RBanis@DeathValley.com>, Raney David <david@draneyassociates.com>, Varner Doug <cdvarner@ca.rr.com>, "Mason Bob >" <rwmskm@cox.net>, Cole Dave <Dave@ultra4racing.com>, Frauenholz Blaise <blaze93675@aol.com>, Granat Amy <granat.amy@gmail.com>, Horgan Chris <chris@stewardsofthesequoia.org>, Lavello Rick <rlavello@fs.fed.us>, Wiley Fred <fwiley@orba.biz>, Mitchell Mark <mwm@mindspring.com>, "Mr. & Mrs. Waldheim Ed" <EdWaldheim@AOL.com>
CC: Conlin Christopher <Christopher.Conlin@parks.ca.gov>

This is a message from the Deputy Director of our OHMVR program. Please do what you can to get this message out. My guess is the people who were responsible for this are not connected to any of the OHV organizations but just possibly the message could get to the right individuals.
Thanks, Paul

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Conlin, Christopher@Parks" <Christopher.Conlin@parks.ca.gov>

Subject: Need your help

Date: June 12, 2014 at 9:06:04 AM PDT

To: "'Amador, Don'" <damador@cwo.com>, 'Dave Pickett' <d36lao@volcano.net>, 'John Stewart' <jstewart@me.com>, Amy Granat <granat.amy@gmail.com>

Cc: "Jenkins, Phil@Parks" <Phil.Jenkins@parks.ca.gov>, "''Paul Slavik (pslavik@socal.rr.com)'" <pslavik@socal.rr.com>

OHV Leadership,

I need your help on this one. Looks like we had an incident at Red Rock that compromised a closed sensitive area (see redacted report below). This is obviously unacceptable, and certainly does not help our efforts to maintain OHV access. It could also have adverse effects on our attempts to acquire the adjacent Onyx Ranch property. I know that you and your organizations are just as opposed and infuriated as I am by actions like this. Please get the word out to our responsible riders so that they help shut down the irresponsible few who are jeopardizing our recreation and resources with their illegal actions. Thank you for your support.

Best regards,

Chris

Col Christopher C. Conlin, USMC (Ret)

Deputy Director

Off-Highway Motor Vehicle Recreation

California Parks and Recreation

916-324-5801

OHV logo

Sent: Wednesday, June 11, 2014 12:58 PM
To:
Cc:
Subject: More 4X4 Damage

While on patrol today, I discovered a large amount of 4X4 off-road damage at the north end of Nightmare Gulch. It appears that a group of disgruntled off-roaders blazed their own path to follow our fence line and find its weak spots. They were successful, and entered Nightmare Gulch during the birds of prey nesting closure.

This was a large group of people in Jeeps and other SUV type 4X4’s who collectively decided to destructively violate state law. I estimate this happened within the last two weeks, and there were at least 8 vehicles in the group. See attached pictures showing the damage.

State Park Peace Officer

Mojave Sector

Site Admin

Re: Nightmare Canyon

Postby Jeremyrowell » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:14 am

Stuff like this can't happen.

Return to Land Use Matters