Swamp Lake July 2012

Site Admin

Swamp Lake July 2012

Postby Jeremyrowell » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:10 am

This is truly an Awesome trail with very little traffic. A perfect getaway for the family. We (my wife an two oldest daughters) left Wednesday (a day before everyone eles). After a blown trailer tire and a search for an extra spare set us back quite a bit, we arrived at Dinkey creek around 2am. Quickly threw the tent up and we crashed for the rest of the night. Got up around 10 and got all of our 5000lbs of stuff transferred to my Jeep. Had a little bit of trouble remembering where the trail head was (sign was ripped of the gate so I drove right passed it!) We hit the trail about noon. It for me was a very differnt experience wheeling by my self. There was no one on the trail that day and it was nice to go our own pace. We got stuck once... right abouve Rooster Rock there are two wasy to go... and I chose the wrong one! My back tire fell down between two rock wall and wedged the beadlock rock rings on both side. I was very easy one the skinny pedal knowing I was very heavy and not wanting to break and axle. With a little help from the winch we got out unscathed.

We hit grouse lake about 4 and since we all by ourselves we got the best camping spot. Got it all set up (did I mention we had a lot of stuff?) and was ready for dinner. Grabbed our "fire stick" and of course it refused to light. Now what? no BBQ, no stove, no lantern... Used a paper towel, a little hair spay, a wrench and my battery and poof fire! Sure, I lost a little arm hair... but it was worth it. This was the first time my family has camped completely alone in the wilderness, and it was very cool. Sitting by the lake fishing, watching the sun set... A very cool start to our mini vacation. The next day we aired up our boats and went out opn the lake. Fished some more, went swimming and had a great time. Around 4pm Richard showed up with about 6 rigs and we started filling up the campground. There were a couple from Naxja and some from 4X4HIM. It was good to see some people I had not seen in quite awhile. Found out at that point that a rig had blown an axle and was stuck on the trail. they ended up leaving it there and getting it on the way out on Sunday.

Around 8 Chris from Infectious showed up with his son, and his wife was drivingf a 2nd jeep with his daughter. A couple more rigs showed up about 1am. We filled up the campgrtound quite nicely. Everyone had a great time. Lotsw of Fishing, swimming... there were 6 boats on the lake at one point!

On Sunday groups started leaving. 2 left at 8am (more on that later) The rigs from 4x4HIM left and went back to finish fixing the rig they had left. I was with the last group to leave around 11am. I think the last half of the trail is more difficult. There are more rock garden and a lot more off camber spots (did I mention my 5000lbs of stuff... on my roof rack?!?) I came close to flopping a couple times! We had quite a tough time getting by one obsticle, and I think I stacked about 10 tons of rocks, but we got through it ok. It was a very fun spot. A little ways later, Richard broke an end on his Steering. That set us back some time. Got 3 batteries and he had some rod to weld it good enough to get out. About 200 yards we ran into one of the rigs that left at 8am that moring. His steering box was broke completely off the frame. There was writing on the window: "Broke steering, hiked out for help at 1:30" It was now 4:30. Not sure why he hiked, as there was a group that left after him... still have to figure that out! We never saw them, so somebody must have picked them up. Made our way off the trail and hit the forest road... we were home free... or not. The Toyota FJ died. After about an hour of trouble shooting, we hooked a rig in front and behind and drug him about 10 miles to the parking spot. It was now 9pm. I was very happy I had decided to take Monday Off! One of the tow rigs Failed to start. It was a long, but very fun day of wheeling. Stopped for dinner in Fresyes and made it home at 1am. This is a great trip, And I hope I am able to run it again next year.

Site Admin

Re: Swamp Lake July 2012

Postby Jeremyrowell » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:20 am

Here's a couple of camping shots. I didn't get any wheeling pics!
Attachments
2012-07-28_16-13-54_810.jpg
2012-07-27_13-17-24_677.jpg

Return to Run Reports