Sherman Pass, June 16

Sherman Pass, June 16

Postby Jimmiej450 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:37 pm

Cathy Colbert and I were the only two who showed up, so we went anyway. Easy run to the base of the trail. The switchbacks were in good shape, no problems. The rocky grades that come next seem to be worse than I remember them from last fall. Erosion is allowing some of the big rocks to shift under you. Queasy feelings there. (Jon, do we need to talk to the Forest Service about erosion control in the area of 7200' to 8200' elevation?)

Once we got into the glades, things were smooth, again.
Made the side trip up to the top of Sherman Peak. Great view. Will post the panorama after I get it assembled.

After we crossed North Meadow, I got confused & started down the North Meadow Trail. Took one look at all the rocks and chickened out. Not big rocks, but soooooo many of them. Backed up and found the easy way.
From there to Corral Meadow was a relatively easy run. I lost count of the trees you guys cut two weeks ago. My sincere thanks.

Stopped @ Corral Meadow for lunch.

Turned left to follow the rest of the trail, but got just a little way and found the "Temporary Closed" sign. Does any one know why it is closed and for how long?

I doubt Cathy will make the trip again, not because of the driving difficulties, but the emotional reaction she had. At first she was fascinated by the contrast of white lines and charred spots, and the shapes formed by the fallen trunks. Then we got into some of the unburned pockets and she could see how it had been before the fire. She was revolted by the devastation!
Personally, I think everyone who even thinks about going into the woods should get a free ride through the area. Only when you are in the middle of all those skeletons do you get a feeling for the destruction of carelessness.

Jim Johnston
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Jim Johnston
Black XJ

Re: Sherman Pass, June 16

Postby Big Jon » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:57 pm

Thanks for the report Jim. We are the erosion control for the most part, glad to rere there were no more trees down. Had a wind storm right after we cleared the trail, and I was hopeing no more blew down.

Postby Jimmiej450 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:44 pm

Panorama view from on Top of Mount Sherman
Cathy's Jeep in a meadow
Two DBJs at the Gaging StationImage
Last edited by Jimmiej450 on Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:27 am, edited 5 times in total.
Jim Johnston
Black XJ

Sherman Pass, June 16

Postby Jimmiej450 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:20 am

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Attachments
ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1340115616.617906.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1340115616.617906.jpg (25.85 KiB) Viewed 4898 times
Jim Johnston
Black XJ

Postby Goatman » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:51 am

Nice to see that you went to the top. I love the view from up there.

Return to Run Reports