Mesquite Canyon-Feb 16, 2013

Mesquite Canyon-Feb 16, 2013

Postby Jimmiej450 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:26 pm

8 rigs met at a new place. The Shell Station @ Comanche & Edison. Decent parking except for trailered rigs. May have that, but I wasn't looking. On the road on time and easy trip to Jawbone. Except for all the traffic going up to Tehachapi.
I think this is the first time for parts of this trail. Mesquite Canyon Road is in BLM territory and so all the road markers begin with EP for El Paso Mtns.
Went up EP 15 to EP 30, some of us missed the turn so we had a short delay. Made it to Bickel's Camp and took the tour. The place is still interesting after a couple of visits.
Went up then to Burro Schmidt's Tunnel and explored around there. Ate lunch there. Place was like Grand Central Station. Crowds of bikes, quads, ATVs.
After that we headed back out EP 15 and split up. Four left for home and some die hards continued to explore eastward toward Garlock. Jon didn't see or didn't believe the sign that said "Trail ENDS" The sign was not joking.
We made our windy way over to EP 11 and out by way of EP 178, 179 and 170. I finally had to put it in 4 WD on EP 170. The hills were a little steep and the rocky parts were crumbly and I was afraid of snapping an axle. Joe did, too.
Got back to the Redrock-Randsburg Road, aired up and headed home.
Pleasant weather, mostly sun, but not hot. Reminded me somewhat of the early Fifties when my dad dragged me all over that area prospecting.
Jim Johnston
Black XJ

Site Admin

Re: Mesquite Canyon-Feb 16, 2013

Postby Jeremyrowell » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:10 am

Sounds like a good time, Thanks for posting!

Return to Run Reports